Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Microblogs - Twitter - An Assignment for EDTC614

I don't know about how much y'all've used Twitter in the past, but I haven't used it in ages since my school district went through a phase requiring teachers to have one (and then we promptly weren't allowed to use them anymore). 

I get very self-conscious about my tweets and don't feel that many of my comments or thoughts are that terribly worthy of sharing. I don't feel like my tweets are witty enough or interesting enough. 

I've noticed that a lot of people's tweets can get pretty whiny or demeaning to others, whether it's from celebrities or just average people who like to hide behind the seeming anonymity of social media. Not that that is an issue isolated just to Twitter. 

Also, I don't feel I have enough characters to say most of what I'd like and I battle between weird abbreviations or rewording the entire thing to fit. 

I find I have a similar problem with my Remind.com account/app. I use Remind to remind my students and their families about upcoming events, quizzes, tests, fees due, etc. With the same 140 character allotment, I find myself wrestling between sending 2 messages or using the abbreviations. Last year I had parents complain about the abbreviations (it was quite the ridiculous mess). I think that my district had intended us to use Twitter in the way we use Remind now, but I feel more comfortable with Remind than Twitter since only my students and their families can see the messages.


No comments:

Post a Comment