Sunday, January 29, 2012

Survival Instincts Set In..

Go me! Graded 5+ assignments for each class just in time for progress reports! Here in our ISD, we have gotten on quarters (4 nine-week grading periods) this year. We have also gotten on a 7 point grading scale, which is totally kickin' my poor little niños-yo in the patootie! Really, I think it just makes things worse for me because now the kids are even more likely not to make an A or B in class. And it's still frowned upon to scar the children by failing them.. so.. just more work for me. In a way I like it, because I'm the sort who'd rather you make corrections on things and actually learn from it.. and I'll accept your hard work on assignments without penalty (unless it's been entirely too long, like, weeeeks) because I'd rather have you do it sometime instead of never.. and it signals the on-top-of-things parents quicker that there's a problem. I think it also covers-my-Rs by giving progress reports out every 3 weeks. Then there's still plenty of time for the kids to get it in gear, and plenty of time for parents to get after their kids. Not that the progress reports usually make it home; we know they live in the bottom of backpacks or trashcans and that sadly the parents don't keep up with our reminders of when to be on the look out for them. :shrug: I don't pretend to have a solution for that. Automated telephone system every 3 weeks with your kids grades.. if only the telephone numbers ever worked.

Found 2 more Spanish teacher books I'm ordering off Amazon soon as we get paid Monday at Midnight (finally!). Another different thing in this ISD is that we get paid right before Christmas Holidays, and then not again til the end of January. Rough! And no Christmas bonus like last ISD. Bummer.

Didn't quite make it to typing up some worksheets for later in the week (time for that later).. or typing up yet my lesson plans for this week (it's all on paper, just another 30 min of work I can do during the first few hrs..tomorrow). Must make sure to get them all straight and in order by afternoon, however, since Skool 2 (the one trying to to be closed by the School Board or taken over by the State) has our Recovery School District people coming in to inspect. Skool 1 has observed me maaaybe once. Skool 2 has observed me probably 10 times this year. I teach 3 classes at Skool 1 totaling about 50 kids (so blessed to have small classes). I teach 3 classes at Skool 2 totaling 12 kids (that's right. Twelve.) And Praise the Lord I don't teach Core 4! I'm just enrichment! Why do LosPowersThatBe at Skool 2 worry so much about me??

Not looking forward at all to Morning Duty at 7am (bleh).. and I PROMISE PROMISE not to push it tomorrow. Anyone starts gettin' my blood pressure up is GONE! I will be spending the majority of my days sitting with my feet on the crates of graded papers. Let the young ones jump up and come to me for help. Last week the OBGYN put me on strict bed rest because my blood pressure was waaay too high and caused me to swell up like Violet Beauregard! Got to do the urine collection for possible protein, which came back negative, thank God, so no preeclampsia. Also having to monitor my blood sugar since my 3-hour blood sugar test came back riiight on the borderline. I don't do hand pain or blood, so this has been an awful week. Today starts week 32. MUST MAKE IT TO THE END OF FEBRUARY.

Anyhow, here's hoping we all have a great week! Once I've typed up some more worksheets, I'll see if I can't figure out how to attach them here to share with ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment